Tummy fat. Some of us have it, others don’t. Is there anything special about a big belly compared to a large bottom? Well, surprisingly, not all body fat is created equal! According to a study carried out by researchers from MacMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario it seems that gauging your heart attack risk depends on where your fat is, rather that how much fat you have.
These types of findings are not unique to MacMasters. Dr David Heber, Ph.D., from UCLA’s Centre for Human Nutrition reports that distribution of body fat is a more important predictor of heart attack risk than the traditional measurement of Body Mass Index (BMI), which is a measurement based on the ratio between your height and weight.
It appears that a more accurate predictor of the impact body fat has on your health, is your overall body shape. You may be more like an apple or a pear, or evenly shaped top and bottom. You may have large thighs, fat hips and a huge bum and have a lower heart attack risk than someone with skinny legs and a big belly.
A more accurate and telling predictor of heart attack risk, is the waist-to-hip ratio.
What is your waist-to-hip ratio?
Divide your waist measurement by your hip measurement. For example, if your hips measurement is 40 inches and your waist is 34 inches your hip-to-waist ratio is 0.85. If you are a man, that’s great, if you are a woman, that’s OK (but you are right on the limit of healthy).
- A man’s ratio should not be over 0.90
- A woman’s ratio should not be over 0.85
If you were born an apple you will stay an apple and if you were born a pear you will continue to be appear. Accepting your natural body shape is the first step in losing weight. In a study led by Glasgow, Scotland, psychologist Dorothy Hefferman, Ph.D., researchers concluded that women whose actual body shape differs from their desired one may find losing weight frustrating and have more trouble sticking to a weight-loss program as a result. If this sounds like you, accept your overall shape as nature intended, but pay attention to reducing fat around your middle and tummy areas. Circumference is much more important to your health than how you look in relation to your bust and bottom.
Eating poorly, bottling stress and living a sedentary life can be attributed to why so many people are overweight, obese and/or sick. These three habits provide a perfect environment for your health to deplete quickly, cause your body to age faster, and make it hard to lose belly bulge. Everyday life offers plenty of challenges on it’s own. Why not change what you can actually control? Your diet, exercise and natural supplementation can make facing life’s challenges and experiencing life’s joys seem possible.
Dangerous Belly Bulge
The toughest fat to combat is the fat around the waist, also known as visceral fat. This type of fat seems to stick around regardless of one’s eating patterns or workout plan once it shows up. It is also the most dangerous type of fat. This type of fat is responsible for many health conditions and it is important to start dealing with it immediately. Contending with belly fat can be frustrating but there are effective techniques to lose this belly bulge. Unfortunately, there is not just one thing you can do to change this but there are many things you can do together to overcome this epidemic. First Fitness Nutrition (25 year old company) introduced a natural weight loss product known as XanoLean Supreme that specifically attacks visceral fat. With a healthy diet, consistent exercise, weight loss and proper natural supplementation you can win in the end.
Belly Focused Exercises
There are exercises, foods and natural weight loss supplements that can help you fight visceral fat.
- Side planks require dedication and mental strength. Supporting the body weight on two points require focus. Lie sideways on the floor, place the elbow directly beneath the shoulder and have the legs stacked. Squeeze the abs and lift the hips from the floor until balance is recovered using the forearm and feet. Hold for as long as possible, while breathing and squeezing the abs. Switch sides and repeat till exhaustion.
- The captain’s chair workout can be used at the gym or in a chair at home. Sit towards the edge of the chair and keep the hands firmly on the chair. Exhale and slowly lift the knees towards the chair, squeezing the abs. Never allow the feet to touch the floor when performing these repetitions.
- The crunch beat is effective and difficult. Lying face down on a mat with 90 degree bent knees, extending the arms fully behind the head. Extend the legs diagonally, cross the ankles and raise the head, with chin up. Hold this move and pulse gently till exhaustion. Repeat the move eight times.
- Cardio can be fun and provides a fast way to lose belly bulge. Incorporate a high level cardio class, or pop in a music CD to ramp up a lackluster cardio routine. Music assists in passing the time during cardio sessions and more energy is derived from fun beats. You can also watch TV while jumping on a mini trampoline or take daily walks.
There are power foods that can help fight against stubborn belly bulge when added to an exercise plan:
- Blueberries, strawberries and raspberries contain belly fat fighting chemicals. Blueberries also provide an essential balance of fiber allowing the satisfaction of being fuller, faster.
- Tuna and fish enhance metabolism naturally and reduces cravings. Tuna also has a significant protein level to build lean tissue, which assists in reducing belly fat.
- Romaine, arugula, spinach and kale are all leafy greens that contain high fiber and prevent the bloat in bellies. A huge salad with these belly blasting greens will reduce cravings and provide essential sources of vitamins and minerals.
- Sour cherries have been proven in lab tests to reduce belly fat in less than three months. The antioxidants in sour cherries produce a natural and tasty variation to reducing belly bulge.
Concentrated workouts, belly blasting foods and natural weight loss supplements like XanoLean Supreme provide a source of success to lose belly bulge. Incorporating the workouts several times a week allows the stomach and abs to develop, reduce and tone. The belly is one area of the body that recovers fast and can be worked out consistently. Following all of the above tips will ultimately result in weight loss which will decrease your visceral fat levels.
Dr. Tammy Cashion
Guest Author – The Best Weight Loss System